Saturday 24 August 2013

The Place Beyond the Pines (2012 Derek Cianfrance)

Well, this was a lot better than Blue Valentine.

We were somewhat surpised when 50 minutes in a second story began, then a third, which wrapped the first two together into a little epic.

Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper were succeeded by Dane DeHaan and Emory Cohen respectively (both good), with Eva Mendes, Ben Mendelsohn (also good), Mahershala Ali, Rose Byrn, Ray Liotta and Gabe Fazio. Ryan and Eva's baby is the cutest I think I've ever seen.



Cianfrance and Ben Coccio wrote the story and Darius Marder joined them in scriptwriting. Sean Bobbitt (Hunger, Shame, Byzantium) shot it, often from behind and following the actors. The chase sequences with cameras located in the cars are exceptional and reminded me of C'Etais un Rendezvous.

Sean Bobbitt lighting Ryan Gosling
 It was until I'd been watching it for an hour and a quarter that I realised it was a period piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment