Sunday 10 April 2016

My Man Godfrey (1936 Gregory la Cava)

I love Carole Lombard, and why shouldn't I love this gorgeous, mad, eccentric, unique, short-lived figure? I've also come to love Eric Hatch, the novelist, after reading 'Five Days' (1933) which would also make a great screwball film. There's something about screwball which is easy to love and hard to replicate. It needs a screwy female lead, certainly, and a laid-back leading man - here, William Powell - but also you could think of a diffident Cary Grant. Having the likes of Eugene Pallette and Mischa Auer, Jean Dixon (the maid), Alan Mowbray and Alice Brady (the mother) certainly helps.

"Oh mother, Godfrey loves me. He put me in the shower."

"He left suddenly by the side window."

"Stand still, Godfrey. It'll all be over in a minute."

Ted Tetzlaff shot it.

No comments:

Post a Comment