Saturday 2 January 2016

The Big Clock (1948 John Farrow)

Searching for a noir I told Q I could offer her a Big Clock or a Dark Mirror. (I'd purchased the Spanish release of On Dangerous Ground for the second time in my life, forgetting you can't remove the subtitles. When I went to look on Amazon to see if any reviewer had pointed it out I realised I had.) But this isn't really a noir. It's kind of too classy (Paramount) and has a domestic sub-plot involving a guy trying to take a long-deserved vacation without being fired.

Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Sullivan, George Macready, Rita Johnson, Elsa Lanchester, Henry Morgan (as the heavy!)

Shot with customary skill by John Seitz, with some really clever tracking shots (this is a guy you want on your film), music Victor Young.


No comments:

Post a Comment