Friday 25 November 2016

The Major and the Minor (1942 Billy Wilder)

Billy: "I was very careful. I set out to make a commercial picture I wouldn't be ashamed of, so my first picture as a director wouldn't be my last..' From Doane Harrison he learned to 'cut in the camera'. "What I do is try not to give them any extra film to monkey around with...When I finish a film, there is nothing on the cutting room floor but chewing gum wrappers and tears."

Fresh from an Oscar for Kitty Foyle, Ginger Rogers (aged 30) graciously agreed to pretend to be a 12 year old under a debut director (well, Hollywood debut), and even had her real mother cast as her mother. Lelee Rogers' life is in itself an interesting one.

Brackett and Wilder have mischievous fun with this set-up, derived from a play by Edward Childs Carpenter (explain to me why various foreign versions of Wikipedia cover him but none in English?) from a story by Fanny Kilbourne. She spends the night with Ray Milland and is then thrust into a college full of 300 lusty cadets. Luckily sassy young Diana Lynn becomes her ally against horrible fiancée Rita Johnson, and Peter Benchley puts the cat amongst the pigeons.

Lighting by Leo Tover, transformations by Wally Westmore.

Still very funny, great lines and moments, great title.



No comments:

Post a Comment