Friday 2 June 2017

My Week With Marilyn (2011 Simon Curtis)

Well written by Adrian Hodges and based on Colin Clark's actual memoir, the film is sadder and sweeter than I remembered. Michele Williams really is fantastic, and it exposes some of the truth behind the Marilyn myth ('Shall I give them her?' she whispers to Eddie before doing the MM bit to Windsor Palace staff - the scene here with Derek Jacobi is wonderful.)

Should it have been shot in widesceen (Ben Smithard)?

Michele and Kenneth were Oscar and BAFTA nominated and she won the Golden Globe.

With Julia Ormond, Judi Dench, Dominic Cooper, Michael Kitchen, Zoe Wanamaker, Philip Jackson, Emma Watson (perfect), Toby Jones, Jim Carter (I know - who's not in the film?), Geraldine Somerville (for two seconds), Pip Torrens. Good makeup and hair - Marc Pilchard - OK, Pilcher.


I would have loved to have written this - Clark himself died in 2002 at 70 and thus didn't live to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment