Tuesday 17 April 2018

Kings Row (1942 Sam Wood)

I would have cut Casey Robinson's screen play from 'Stick your chin out Drake' to telling him his legs were cut off unnecessarily, never mind that poetry bullshit. Don't say 'I've got something really important to tell you', then go round the houses of flammery. That's always bothered me.

On the other hand, I can't really argue with Sheridan's line "That day I saw Drake at the station - well, he simply went to a place in my heart that had been waiting for him."

The remarkable girls are Ann Sheridan, Betty Field and Nancy Coleman.



In recognition of his worth, Korngold was awarded a rare full page credit:


Charles Coburn has never been so unlikable. Q would have liked Dr Gordon to have received his comeuppance, rather than dying conveniently.

Harry Davenport's beard is ridiculous. Special mention to the lady who has a ten second cameo in the doctor's office, I guess it's Bertha Powell:



The gay version - Parris bursts into Drake's room and kisses him:


Interestingly sympathetic German characters for 1942.

Henry Bellamann wrote a sequel, 'Paris Mitchell of King's Row' in 1948, which his wife completed after his death.

1 comment:

  1. If you're interested, the black actress is Hattie Noel who was the runner up for the part of Mammy in GWTW (not Bertha Powell). x

    ReplyDelete