Sunday 3 February 2019

L'Année Dernière à Marienbad (1961 Alain Resnais)

Emotion - everyone is sad. She is scared.

He is 'a phantom, waiting for her to come'. He doesn't exist. He prowls the corridors for ever...

He has died - falling from the broken balustrade.

She has been killed by her husband.

The drawer of identical photos - then rearranged in game layout.



Marienbad doesn't exist. And I don't mean that as some kind of clever pronouncement on the film. No, it really doesn't exist, which is why I could never find my car that I parked there again.*

P.S. 5 April 2022. I learned today with interest that Resnais was Agnes Varda's editor, and that they were both influenced by William Faulkner's 'Wild Palms' (two stories, cross-cut). (Mark Cousins 'The Story of Film'.)

* I think it does - Nabokov wrote one of his short stories there. It was a very popular German spa town, but after World War 2 the German population were expelled. The Czech name is Mariánské Lázně. All this does of course add to the confusion. I guess the Germans carried on calling it Marienbad, and the French perhaps did likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment