Wednesday 24 March 2021

To Paris With Love (1954, released 1955 Robert Hamer)

Released before Fleming's 'Russia' version. Despite presence of Hamer, Guinness and Anne Coates, an uninteresting and forgettable experience. Guinness tries to set up his son Vernon Gray with Odile Versois and he his father with Elina Labourdette, but they swap. Audiences would have liked the Technicolor on-location Paris (and on-location Pinewood). Oo la la, isn't it a scandal, etc. Smoking in the bathroom? I say!

Coates says she liked Hamer, would set her unpredictable challenges. "One brilliant director I worked with many years ago, Robert Hamer of Kind Herts and Coronets, used to shoot me stuff that seemed as if it wouldn't cut together on purpose to see what I'd do with it... He liked to take actors out left and bring them in right. I had to find something I could cut away to, put between the two. Of even just jolt. It was great training. I wouldn't be beaten, I'd always find something. It's your job as editor to make it work." 'First Cut', Gabriella Oldham.

Was it the George V?




No comments:

Post a Comment