Friday 7 January 2022

To Sir With Love II (1996 Peter Bogdanovich)

Sidney Poitier (94) and Peter died yesterday within twelve hours of each other - this was the only way to memorialize the two of them together and whilst it's neither's best film, it's sweet and was an emotional experience in the circumstances.

On 25 January 2015 Peter wrote this to me:

I think you're the first person to write about the Poitier picture I did. I thought it was pretty damn good for 24 days in freezing Chicago weather. In fact, I blush to say, but I think it's better than the original, which doesn't really hold up that well. Sidney was fun to work with. All I ever said to him was "a little faster, Sidney" in as many variations as you can imagine, including gestures to indicate the same thing.

The screenplay is OK (Philip Rosenberg) and pleasing, Peter moves it all along fast, moving his camera in on key moments. 

Cast includes Christian Payton, Dana Eskelson, Fernando Lopez. Lulu and Judy Geeson guest.



No comments:

Post a Comment