Sunday 13 February 2022

Spencer (2021 Pablo Larraín)

Or, The Spencering, as I was getting a strong echo of The Shining, with its feeling of isolation, tracking shots down long corridors, ghastly decoration - even the scene between her and Timothy Spall in the larder - I almost expected him to say 'You've always been here, ma'am'. And weird music (Johnny Greenwood - an amazing score).

Kristen Stewart is simply fabulous as Diana.

Have to mention on camera Claire Mathon, whose team follows, watches, tracks, laterally tracks, pans, runs and nimbly goes wherever it needs to.

With the great Spall, Sean Harris and Sally Hawkins are Jack Farthing again, Stella Gonet (the Queen), Amy Manson (Anne Boleyn), Jack Nielen and Freddie Spry (William and Harry). Elizabeth Berrington apparently plays Princess Anne but I can't say I actually saw her face.

And written by Steven Knight. Love the joke about Diana's concern for safety when shooting. "Of course it will be safe. We wear protective glasses."

It blew me away. Larraín made Jackie, which I wasn't mad about, perhaps need to reevaluate. Something they share is an odd aspect ratio - this I think in 1.66:1. In the totally underwhelming 'making of' film, we did not talk to Knight, Mathon nor Greenwood, who I would have thought are all key collaborators. Nor film editor Sebastian Sepulvida, but that's par for the course. (I should mention the wonderful montage scene.)

Stewart has been Oscar nominated but I would have voted for Mathon and Greenwood also.




No comments:

Post a Comment