Wednesday 25 May 2022

This Is Us - Season 2 (2018 Creator Dan Fogelman)

Here's one of William's 'Poems for my Son', recounted in Episode 1: 

Things not said,
Advice
Not given.
Envelopes
Not stamped.
Regrets
Enveloping me.
Is it easier there?
I wonder.
I ponder
I guess.
Guess.
Do you think of me
As I do of you?
My son.
My son.
My son.
The things you'll do
I'll never know,
The pain
The secrets
Oh, to be given a chance
A start
The restart
The fresh start.
Will love come for you
As it did for me?
Find you
Wreck you
Save you
Change you?
And if life breaks for you
The way it would not
Break for me
If love hunts you
Finds you
Captures you,
Would you hold it tight
Nurture it
Protect it?
I hope you will.
I hope you can.
This father's advice
Is not required
It has no call
So instead
I'll share some
From another.
It's better to have loved
And lost
Than to never have loved
At all.
Now an addendum
To my earlier advice.
If I'm so lucky
To still have your ear.
I loved you.
I lost you.
And I advise you
'Twas better
Than to have never
Loved at all.
But now with more years
More time
More perspective
I see things in a slightly new way.
So here,
My good son,
Is a father's advice.
Updated and recalled.
It's better to have loved and lost
Surely.
But try
Not to lose it.

Also loved Randall's line to Kevin: "No black man would ever feel jealous about being auctioned." 

Two sets of Big 3s:

Logan Shroyer, Parker Bates, Mackenzie Hancsicak, Hannah Ziele, Niles Fitch, Lonnie Chavis. 

Q thinks that in order to maintain their correct ages, all the scenes involving the Big 3 at any age all had to be filmed at the same time - thus all the story had to have been worked out right at the beginning - which is quite a head spinner.

This is the season that introduces us to the troubled Deja (Lyric Ross), and also features a trio of consecutive stories about the Big 3, one each, centring around the day Kevin shattered his football dreams (and his knee). And we finally get to see the untimely death of Jack.

The sequences (over more than one episode) showing the young boy who is to be adopted is a marvellous piece of misdirection, as we find out we're in the future.

We noticed Master of None's Lena Waithe and Pam Grier in small parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment