Wednesday 22 June 2022

Avanti (1972 Billy Wilder & co-scr)

This is certainly one film Mr Camp might have viewed before making the terrible Love & Gelato. This is how to write a film, this is how to direct a film (lots of long takes, I noticed this time, our fourteenth viewing).

It was Billy's birthday.

"Could I have a couple of noodles - for colour?"

Cameron: "I was watching your airplane-landing shots and they suddenly looked very familiar to me. Then I realized - I bought those landing-gear shots from a film house, and one of those stock shots appears at the beginning of Jerry Maguire. So, like it or not, you are in my movie."
Billy: "I beautified one of your pictures."


Great blocking, even

The music:

A Tazza E' Cafe. G Capaldo, V Fassone

La Luna Don Backy & Detto Mariano

Palcoscenico (E Bonagura, A Giannini, S, Bruni

Senza Fine Gino Paoli

Core 'Ngrato Sergio Bruni

Un'ora sola ti vorrei Carlo Bruni 

Editor Ralph Winters on Juliet's horse and buggy ride round Ishchia:

"The little horse and carriage pass an open bar where people are sitting outside the bar having a drink. As the camera pans cross this group, there is a lady nursing a baby at the very end of the pan, the gag being that everyone is having a drink in the warm summer sunshine, even the baby.

Do you believe that I cut away from the shot before the camera finished its pan past the end of the shot, missing the gag completely? Well, I did. Billy just about fainted. "Raulf!" he shouted. "How could you do that? You cut off the joke!"

Ralph Winters 'Some Cutting Remarks'.


No comments:

Post a Comment