Sunday 14 January 2018

The Goodbye Girl (1977 Herbert Ross)

Dreyfuss is fabulous, but Marsha Mason is every bit as good (she was Oscar and BAFTA nominated and shared the Golden Globe with Diane Keaton). In particular that long take in the bathroom is just terrific. Did they get on?

"When I look at a film, I don't just see the performance. I remember the days I shot the film. I can still look at moments on the big screen and not like what I see because I was in a real bad mood that day. Well, I loved every day of Goodbye Girl. I loved who I worked with.  I loved Herb Ross, I loved Marsha Mason, I loved Neil Simon. To me, good work on any level is based on relaxation. I got to a level of relaxation I'd never been to on that film. And that's what I see in Elliot Garfield too. Also, he's the nicest person in the world...totally human and he's kind and good and intelligent and witty and sweet and lovable. Who wouldn't want to play that?"

Dreyfuss interviewed by Cameron Crowe, Rolling Stone, January 11 1979.



No comments:

Post a Comment