Thursday 25 January 2018

The Romantic Age (1949 Edmond T Greville)

18 year old schoolgirl Mai Zetterling (dreadful) seduces teacher Hugh Williams, almost ruining his career - he's about as charismatic as a soggy newspaper in a tunnel. Wife Margot Grahame and daughter Petula Clarke - who's her classmate - offer at least half-decent performances. With Carol Marsh, Raymond Lovell (the butler), Margaret Barton, Marie Ney and Paul Dupuis.

Ugh!

Unsurprisingly based on a French novel 'Lycee des Jeunes Filles' by Serge Veber. Adapted by the director with screenplay by Edward Dryhurst & Peggy Barwell.

Leaves Lovell to deliver the best moment. "Throughout the many years I have been privileged to serve Mr Tessereau, whom I consider in many ways my superior, I have always endeavoured to tolerate his abominable daughter, but I fear, without success. I have avoided putting my thoughts into words , but I think the time has now come when I may permit myself the liberty of saying that you ought to be put across somebody's knee and spanked, hard. (outraged look of response) Furthermore, if it did not involve a certain loss of dignity on my part, I would not hesitate to do it myself. (leaves room, then re-enters) Dignity be blowed!"


Apart from editor Ralph Kemplen there wasn't a name I knew behind the camera, though it's not a badly made film.

Liked the Shelley quoted, 'Love's Philosophy'.

But the reason for wanting to seek out this rare film is that the piano music being played repeatedly by Grahame, 'Jealous Lover', became the main theme from The Apartment! (Though it isn't credited in the latter.) Which I guess is written by the film's composer Charles Williams. How that happened I have no idea. It's a weird feeling though, hearing that through unfamiliar material...

Strangely this copy, which was originally broadcast on Channel 4, has the copyright info in the credits blurred out.

No comments:

Post a Comment