Sunday 19 April 2020

Grease (1978 Randal Kleiser)

I'm amazed this was a big hit - what was it 1978 audiences found attractive about a cheesy 1950s musical? Travolta dances like a chicken and the behaviour of his 'gang' is laughable.

Of main interest then is late appearances by Eve Arden and - believe it or not - Joan Blondell. And someone called Frankie Avalon is in it too.

The musical numbers are awful, particularly the solos - the exact opposite of La La Land in fact. It's like the film's written around terrible songs. It's frequently flat, and the ending will make you puke.

Our Paramount DVD in 2.35:1 looked like it was squeezed, which didn't exactly help matters. (It was supposedly shot in 2.2:1).



Still the moment Travolta is in a diner ordering milkshakes does make you think Pulp Fiction all of a sudden...

1 comment:

  1. " And someone called Frankie Avalon is in it too." - My Mother would shake her fist at you. Frankie Avalon was a staple in the "Beach" movies of the 60's so his presence in it was a big deal. As I'm writing this my Step Daughter (17) was looking over my shoulder & she saw the pictures of Grease & she said, "Oh, I like that movie". I admit the cast was too old for their parts & it is probably inappropriate for the age group who would watch it but it remains an American Classic that I can stomach at least once a year. P>S> I was just singing "Beauty School Drop Out" while cooking dinner the other night.

    ReplyDelete