Saturday 31 December 2022

L'Eternel Retour (1943 Jean Delannoy)

Written by Jean Cocteau. "For a long time I have cherished the dream of taking the theme of Tristan and Yseult, and setting it in our own time...what would I have become without Delannoy who wanted to get on my wavelength who asked me to join him in the cutting and montage, or without Roger Hubert, who filmed through my eyes and my heart? I am taking advantage of these few lines to thank the firm, the actors and Georges Auric, whose wonderful music cut the last thread that still held us to the ground..." ('The Art of Cinema'.) Don't you love Cocteau - 'the last thread that still held us to the ground'... so poetic...

I thought this worked well, a myth or fairytale transposed to modernity, complete with an evil dwarf, an island, a castle, a love potion... and a garage. With Georges Auric's music and the shimmering photography, it's fabulous.

With Madeleine Solonge, Jean Marais, Jean Murat, Roland Toutain, Junie Astor (the second Nathalie), Jane Marken, Jean d'Yd, Piéral, Alexandre Rignault, Yvonne de Bray. The dog is also a welcome member of the cast.






No comments:

Post a Comment