Wednesday 6 September 2023

The Importance of Being Earnest (1952 Anthony Asquith)

He has also slightly changed the construction of Oscar Wilde's play, which is still very funny and well worked out, performed by a good cast of Michael Redgrave, Michael Denison, Joan Greenwood, Dorothy Tutin, Edith Evans, Margaret Rutherford and Miles Malleson. With Richard Wattis, Walter Hudd, Aubrey Mather.

Photographed at Pinewood and in colour by Desmond Dickinson.

That line 'The good ended happily and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means' I thought sounded familiar - it's paraphrased in the beginning of the Endeavour film 'Oracle'. But I think my favourite line remains 'Mama has a way of coming back suddenly into a room that I have often had to speak to her about'.

And Gwendoline and Cecily of course became the Coo-Coo Pigeon Sisters in The Odd Couple, which I can only assume to be Neil Simon's tribute to Wilde.

No comments:

Post a Comment