In fact Dinner was released second, December 1967; Heat was August. But what a year for American cinema - Bonnie and Clyde also came out that year, and changed everything. But get this - Poitier was not even Oscar nominated for either film. Can you dig that? His performances in both films are fantastic.
To get Dinner into perspective, it is mentioned in William Rose's screenplay (which seems like it was adapted from the theatre but isn't) that in sixteen or seventeen states then, mixed race marriage was illegal. I mean, that's absolutely shattering, and puts the whole dilemma of Spencer Tracy into much sharper focus. Which as I mentioned in my review of Loving, has never been illegal in the UK or any other European country. No, it's just the fucking stupid American dickheads that have this persistent race problem.
With that in mind I don't think it can be written off as "fluff" the way Maltin glibly does.
We did think, however, that the couple are in far too much of a rush - they have only known each other ten days for Christ's sake.
And - I usually laugh at the funny and corny way the delivery boy jives with the help; but look - there's an interracial couple there getting along famously.
And then Heat, written by Sterling Silliphant from John Ball's novel (which resulted in six sequels). "Why are you dressed in white man's clothes?" Good lord, it seems dated, but again, it's in our lifetimes. My favourite moment: when Larry Gates slaps Poitier and he immediately slaps him back - "I could have had you shot for that in the old days".
Quincy Jones' score is most interesting. Plus you have Hal Ashby editing (and assistant to the producer) and Haskell Wexler on camera. it's cinematically the more interesting of the two films.
No comments:
Post a Comment