Tuesday 30 June 2020

Barefoot in the Park (1967 Gene Saks)

Much opening out of Neil Simon play which debuted in 1963 - and did have Redford in the same role (and Mildred Natwick and Herb Edelman) - Mike Nichols was the director. I don't know how long Redford ran in that - Elizabeth Ashley was opposite him, who became Jane Fonda. 

The argument they have - which seems palpably real - is silly, but we've all been there. Though I wonder how differently a woman would have written it...

I think they missed a joke with the six flights of stairs - one of them - the elderly postman preferably - should have breezed in as though it was nothing. ("In my youth, I climbed the Matterhorn - twice in one day.")

Some of the dialogue seems noticeably post-dubbed.

It's one of those late colour Joe LaShelle pictures, and while Neal Hefti's music is recognisably his, it's not in the How To Murder Your Wife league.

It's pretty crazy. Fonda is energetic, Natwick fabulous ("I feel like we've died... And gone to heaven... And we climbed up" - with great timing.) Boyer is fun, Redford fine.

"That's the first time you've asked my advice since you were twelve" is a sweet line, delivered sweetly.


No comments:

Post a Comment