Sunday 14 June 2020

Irma La Douce (1963 Billy Wilder)

Very smooth adaptation of Alexandre Breffort musical by Wilder and Diamond, with help from Trauner, LaShelle (the only film of his I've seen in colour? No - Barefoot in the Park), Previn, Mandell.

It was a big box-office hit. "It was a sort of mezzo-musical. I missed. It was too broad in certain scenes. It didn't work. There is always something wrong about people not speaking the language of the foreign country where the picture takes place..."

Lou Jacobi ("..but that's another story.."), Bruce Yarnell, Hope Holiday and Joan Shawlee (both from The Apartment), Cliff Osmond.

Lemmon is terrific as usual and is great fun playing 'Lord X.' MacLaine and LaShelle were Oscar nominated, Previnus won.

Green stockings come into their own in prison break, a terrific scene, and birth (the daughter won't be wearing them).



"I'd really like to watch a sixties film" I thought to myself, at one point. Then  I realised I already was.

No comments:

Post a Comment