Sunday 12 March 2023

Endeavour: Exeunt (2023 Kate Saxon, writer Russell Lewis)

I can't think of any other writer who has single-handedly authored all 36 episodes (films) in a series before, and so successfully and consistently. In the last ever instalment, he deals with the Thursday problem without - and despite the funereal symbols throughout - killing him or any of the family.

Strange: "Well brush my teeth and call me pearly!"

Max: "We all end up six down, two across."

The death of academics is a suitably Dexterish note to end up with, the perpetrator recognisably a figure from right now.

Joan / Morse "You've never called me by my name" is a beautiful scene.



I'm not sure we quite got to the bottom of the Blenheim Vale mystery though, did we? Well - enough. The massive twist over the missing boy is a brilliant bit of plotting, which Morse keeps to himself. Who'd have thought the Hell's Angels would have been so useful?

('Blenheim Vale', by the way, is Langlebury House in King's Langley, Hertfordshire.)

No comments:

Post a Comment