Thursday 3 August 2023

Les Rendez-Vous de Paris (1994 Eric Rohmer)

Eric Rohmer is an acquired taste, and I find I haven't quite acquired him yet. His films are all people talking. In this, three couples talk. Clara Bellar thinks her boyfriend might be cheating on her. He is. Aurore Rauscher and Sergo Renko are having an affaire, though she will only entertain this outdoors. The moment she realises her boyfriend is as well, the affaire's over. "You're his mirror image. Without him, I don't need you any more." This is the funniest. Then an artist Michael Kraft pursues a married woman he sees in an art gallery - the Picasso Museum, to be precise. The outcome of all that is he puts a little colour into one of his paintings, declaring "Well, the day wasn't a complete waste".

I thought I knew Paris well. It turns out I don't. Oh, though - Beaubourg is where the Pompidou Center is in the 4th. So that's alright then.

Made very simply, in 4x3. Despite my reservations, I quite enjoyed it. Just don't show me any more Rohmer this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment