Friday 21 November 2014

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983 Terry Jones)

Last watched 1 July 2012. It was nominated for the Palme D'Or at Cannes but won the Grand Jury Prize (of the panel I only recognised Henri Alekan and Karel Reisz, the only Brit),

During the brilliantly choreographed Every Sperm is Sacred number I though Fellini would have loved it. Then in the school scene it seemed like we were in Buñuel territory. I also had suggestions of If... and AMOLAD before going back to the first two (the Death scene is clearly nodding to Bergman) and by the ending I was seeing Cocteau in the hand holding the flowers. Knowing how the Pythons loved the New Wave I wouldn't be surprised if these references were genuine. Even 'A tiger? In Africa?' appears in Polanski's Che?

John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Michael Palin (whose sergeant major is perhaps his best performance ever and always leaves me helpless with laughter), Eric Idle and Terry Jones (both fabulous women), Terry Gilliam and Carol Cleveland.

Shot by Peter Hannan.

No comments:

Post a Comment