Monday 21 May 2018

The Post (2017 Steven Spielberg)

Written by first-timer Liz Hannah, then touched up by Josh Singer, and featuring timely story for the Trump era of political cover-ups and strong female leadership. According to the DVD cover the Observer review is 'One of the best films ever made'. I have just searched The Observer's website (a frustrating experience as I had to turn off my ad blocker to do so) and didn't find that anywhere.

I think my favourite bit was Streep talking to the girl from the Government who says she's on their side 'but don't tell anyone I said so .. my boss would fire me for even talking to you...'  (Coral Peña). And the very end, which shows the Watergate episode beginning. And the daughter's lemonade business success.

Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Bradley Whitford, Sarah Paulson (Tom's wife), Bob Odenkirk, Jesse Plemons, Matthew Rhys, Michael Stuhlbarg (A Serious Man, Fargo's 2017 season), Alison Brie (Meryl's daughter) and lots of other people who looked vaguely recognisable...



Usual team behind camera, though Sarah Broshar is assisting Michael Kahn in the editing.

A quiet film. It was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment