Monday 15 April 2019

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015 Alfonso Gomez-Rejon)

Written by Jesse Andrews. I like that she immediately bonds with Earl (RJ Cyler) in a way Greg (Thomas Mann) doesn't. Of course the 'she' we didn't know then was Olivia Cooke. Loved also her post-death letter to the college. With Nick Offerman (dad), Molly Shannon, Jon Bernthal.


Shot by Chung-hoon Chung in very wide 10mm anamorphic spherical, moving to true anamorphic as the story progresses, so there's less depth of field. There's a beautifully orchestrated track through the canteen as well.

That bit of music I knew I knew and drove me mad for a few days was the Main Theme from The Conversation - played on a piano - by David Shire. (It then continued to drive me mad as an earworm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment