Monday 28 October 2019

And When Did You Last See Your Father? (2007 Anand Tucker)

"My last recollection of my father was the look on his face after I placed him in a nursing home in Miami, Florida. Wracked by Parkinson's disease and heart trouble, I was saddened by how far removed he was from the authoritarian and emotionally distant man I feared when I was young, yet a lifetime of resentment could not be entirely forgotten..."

So begins an IMDB review from one Howard Schumann, a bracingly honest statement, and evidence that the film - written by David Nicholls from poet/author Blake Morrison's memoir - stirs up filial feelings and prompts discussion about our own fathers.

Great cast: Colin Firth, Jim Broadbent, Gina McKee, Juliet Stevenson, Matthew Beard, Claire Skinner, Sarah Lancashire, Elaine Cassidy, Carey Mulligan.


Music by Barrington Pheloung (like Tucker, born in Thailand), photographed by Howard Atherton, who's having fun with mirrors:



It's good. Seven years was too long to leave it. Perhaps there was a reason for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment