Sunday 18 October 2020

To Rome With Love (2012 Woody Allen & scr)

Here, here, here, here and here. Considering its critical drubbing, it's popular with audiences, rating 3.9 on Amazon and 6.3 on IMDB. Fuck the critics. Though weirdly, Rotten Tomatoes' audience only gives it 40%. And it only came 7th in the top ten WA's of the 2010s, voted by fans on http://www.woodyallenpages.com/. The editors' response - 'Oddly, this film had the strongest negative reaction, with 5% of votes outright hating it, the most for any film. ' Unsurprisingly it played most successfully in Italy (almost $10m), also well in Spain, France and Germany, and made a most respectable $73m worldwide.

"So now I'm working with Penelope Cruz again and Judy Davis in Rome. Judy and I still don't speak, but now it's in Italian. I get to work with Alec Baldwin, always a privilege, and Ellen Page and Greta Gerwig, who went on to direct a wonderful movie herself. Both Ellen and Greta would later denounce me and say they regret having worked with me, but I loved working with them and thought they were terrific. Half the movie was in Italian and I got two big thrills. First, I was directing an Italian movie.  Me, who grew up on De Sica, Fellini, Antonioni, was directing Italian actors in Italian with sub-titles. I knew it would cut down on the box office... [in fact it took a respectable $16m domestically.] Second I had the honor of directing the great Roberto Benigni, who I can't say enough about.." ('A Propos of Nothing'.)

"First Camus, then breaking in, next thing she'll have you holding up filling stations."

No comments:

Post a Comment