Saturday 28 May 2022

The Long, Hot Summer (1958 Martin Ritt)

The first of five collaborations between Martin Ritt and Paul Newman (the others being Paris Blues, Hud, The Outrage, and Hombre... hmm.. must watch these again), a melodramatic adaptation of various works by William Faulkner. Ritt had been an assistant to Elia Kazan at the Actors Studio where most of the cast came from; Newman received Best Actor at Cannes. This is where he and Joanne Woodward were reunited (they had met on a Broadway production of Picnic). (Ritt next did another Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury, again with Woodward, opposite Yul Brynner.)

I enjoyed it, from a distance. Alex North's score is fine, Joe LaShelle's Deluxe Cinemascope photography fine. Rest of cast: Orson Welles, Lee Remick, Anthony Franciosa (Career), Angela Lansbury, Richard Anderson (The Six Million Dollar Man and lots of TV). It has kind of a weird ending in which Welles' patriarch suddenly develops some soul and everything ends up OK - not what I was expecting at all (thought at least one person would be killed).

I've just gone down a Paul Newman rabbit hole. 

I liked it when he suggests to Woodward that as a kid she probably had a doll with no head. I rather like that line and wondered if it was Faulkner's.

PB: What was Martin Ritt like directing The Long, Hot Summer?

OW: Well. he's the one who said to me, "I want you to relate to the windows," and I said, "Marty, you mean you want me to look at them?" But I enjoyed very much working with Joanne Woodward - we had nice scenes together - and Angela Lansbury. I love her. But I wasn't very happy, although the picture was an enormous success. That's the one where the critic of the New York Times [Bosley Crowther] wrote "Orson Welles, believe it or not, was quite good" (laughs).

'This Is Orson Welles' (1992).





No comments:

Post a Comment