Saturday 3 February 2024

Never Let Me Go (2010 Mark Romanek)

Domhnall Gleeson (who I now realise is pronounced 'Donal') was on Graham Norton and unfortunately happened to mention that he was in this with a young Andrea Riseborough, and as we had it I suggested we watch it. I'd always been interested because of the cast of Carey Mulligan, Kiera Knightley and Andrew Garfield. What I did not realise was that Kazuo Ishiguro's novel had been adapted by Alex Garland, who wrote the horrible Men. Unless it was some kind of disguised critique of the care system, it was another film I just didn't understand. (To be fair I think that whoever adapted the novel I still wouldn't have understood it or liked it).

So that's another shame.

Beautifully photographed by Adam Kimmel (Capote, Lars and the Real Girl) and edited by Barney Pilling.



The kids playing the younger selves of the trio are good too: Izzy Meikle-Small, Ella Purnell and Charlie Rowe.

Also with: Sally Hawkins, Charlotte Rampling, Monica Dolan.

No comments:

Post a Comment