Wednesday 18 March 2020

The Paleface (1948 Norman Z Mcleod)

Written by Edmund L Hartmann and Frank Tashlin. Bob Hope and Jane Russell (essentially playing the male western role) are the whole deal. Never realised quite how much the early Woody Allen persona is based on Hope's.

Tashlin (talking to Bogdanovich): "I wrote a picture called The Paleface. After seeing a preview of it I could've shot Norman McLeod. I'd written it as a satire on the Virginian [1929, Victor Fleming], and it was completely botched. I could've killed that guy. And I realised then that I must direct my own stuff."

Um. It's kinda fun, in a juvenile way.

A Paramount film shot in Technicolor by Ray Rennahan.

IMDB lists Sharon Lucas as Russell's stunt double (also on Son of Paleface), confirmed in 'Hollywood Stunt Performers 1910s - 1970s, A Biographical Dictionary' by Gene Scott Freese.

No comments:

Post a Comment