Sunday 14 December 2014

Hannah and her Sisters (1986 Woody Allen & scr)

First I dollied around the table to set the shot up and I remember I thought to myself, Well I can't keep going around and around. But it could be cut and go in closer and cut and go in closer the third time. Then as I looked at that to set it up, I thought, If they're talking naturally, there's no way I'm going to be on the right person all the time. And Barbara Hershey said, "So what? So you're not on the person talking, you're on the reaction shot." And I thought to myself, Well Barbara [laughs], you're not only pretty [laughs harder] but it's a very good idea...
But you know, I was completely dissatisfied with that shot at dailies. I thought it was pretentious. Finally the "that's great" prevailed. I guess I was wrong and not seeing something. 
Conversations with Woody Allen, Eric Lax.

Because (following Cold Feet Series 3) we wanted more great women acting, which we got, with the added bonus of Michael Caine in a most atypical, nervy, wonderful performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment