Sunday 28 December 2014

The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer / Bachelor Knight (1947 Irving Reis)

I hadn't before realised quite how good Cary Grant is - "he's just being Cary Grant" is the usual way of putting it, but the artistry is in becoming Cary Grant quite so wonderfully. Here he's teamed up with frosty judge Myrna Loy and besotted (much) younger sister Shirley Temple, while Ray Collins and Harry Davenport try to help. Rudy Vallee and Johnny Sands are love rivals and Lillian Randolph is (of course) the maid.

Shot by Nick Musuraca and Robert de Grasse (which tells you at once which studio produced it). At one point I reckoned this amateur could differentiate between the two!

Good fun tale written by Sidney Sheldon. Collins has the best lines, e.g. "I couldn't help overhearing - I had my ear to the door" and when Grant asks how he got into his apartment, Collins replies "Well the door was closed, so I opened it and came in".

No comments:

Post a Comment