Sunday 12 May 2019

The Durrells (2016-19)

Had to mention this charming series, which seems to have become better over time, in part perhaps because the actors are now such an ensemble.

Keely Hawes is hilarious. Josh O'Connor makes a good impression as Larry, and often has the best lines. Also have grown to love Daisy Waterstone, Milo Parker and Callum Woodhouse.

I like this exchange of correspondence:

MARGO
Dorset seems boring, but look closer and it's unhinged, I'm flipping telling you. Pru and Jeffrey speak in their own tongue which I call Pruffery, and my devil-people Maude is from another planet, e.g. the dark side of the moon.
LARRY
Margo, dearest, I thought I was an ambitious literary stylist - you bring a peerless set of quirks to the genre. You make a strong case for the Home Counties but I have Paris in the Spring, which glitters and hums... 



Then the girls discover the cinema in the shape of L'Atalante (and, I think, M).

And with: Yorgos Karamihos, Anna Savva, Alexis Conran, Miles Jupp, Leslie Caron.

Simon Nye did a great job of writing them (all).



OK - this is officially no longer exclusively film jottings.

No comments:

Post a Comment