Sunday 17 May 2020

Picture Perfect (1997 Glenn Gordon Caron)

You know you're in trouble when a character says 'Excuse me, I'll be right back.' Written by Arleen Sorkin (no relation), Paul Slansky and Caron, from a story by Sorkin, Slansky and May Quigley. Though according to my own reaction at the time, it was written by 'dumb people on a plane'.

Transparent plot has Jen An pretending she's engaged to Jay Mohr to get ahead at work. This attracts bastard Kevin Bacon, who only fancies her when he thinks she's unavailable. I said it was dumb.

Olympia Dukakis and Illeana Douglas and Kevin Dunn cannot bring gravitas to the proceedings.

We had tried to watch A Rainy Day in New York but were thwarted again - as in the Polish version, you cannot disable German subtitles. The same applies to the French version - it's a case of industrial sabotage.

I guess it's Jerry Maguire we recognise Mohr from.

No comments:

Post a Comment