Sunday 19 December 2021

The Many Saints of Newark (2021 Alan Taylor)

Written by David Chase and Lawrence Konner (a seasoned TV writer), I'm not sure this is so much how Tony Soprano was made as about his uncle Dickie Moltisanti, played by Alessandro Nivola (You Were Never Really Here, American Hustle, Black Narcissus). In fact the last thing Tony does is he seems to reject crime by throwing the stolen speakers out of his window. I found the film a little confusing but very enjoyable and would like to see it again already. The hindsight moments are good and the contemporary story (Newark riots 1967) adds an interesting element. The beginning - graves relating their past - is great.

I thought I recognised the person playing Livia but it's only Vera Farmiga, who does a brilliant job of portraying Tony's vile mother. With Leslie Odom Jr., Corey Stoll, Jon Bernthal, Ray Liotta, Michela Di Rossi, Michael Gandolfini, John Magaro.

Cinematography by Kramer Morgenthau in a muted palette, edited by Christopher Tellefsan (I remember saying to myself at one point - Odom pursuing Nivola with shotgun - "Now you notice the editing". It's always the way).

Had no idea Apollonia was the 'patron saint of dentists'. Good to hear The Last Poets recreation.



I was quite pleased with myself for identifying Key Largo just from the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment