Friday 3 February 2023

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017 Yorgos Lanthimos & co-scr)

Pitch black dry suburban comedy has such an unlikely premise that it left me bewildered and - despite an interesting filming style and committed performances - a little bored. Though the sight of the children falling over and crawling around is funny, and I like the way everyone's lying to one another. The very dry dialogue is reminiscent of Kubrick (2001 specifically) as is the very wide angles and chilly long shots.

Could be about the dullness of some upper class lives, but I don't really care. Can't claim to be a big fan of bleeding from the eyes either. Although I have to admit, the film did stay around in my head after... And the more it seeped in, the less I disliked it...

Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Barry Keoghan, Raffey Cassidy, Sunny Suljic (Mid90s), Bill Camp, Alicia Silverstone

DP Thimios Bakatakis, editor Yorgos Mavropsaradis, music (or dissonant sounds, to be more precise) isn't credited - ah, I see, it's like The Shining, the score's made up of bits of composed music, even Ligeti, who's common to both films.


This is where Barry Keoghan started being really noticed


No comments:

Post a Comment