Wednesday 5 October 2022

Lillies of the Field (1963 Ralph Nelson)

A charming film in which itinerant worker Sidney Poitier (winning Oscar) is somewhat forced to build a chapel by single-minded East German nun Lilia Skala - he learns a little humility realising he cannot build it alone, though acts as a mentor and teacher to the group of nuns. 


Wonderful moment where contractor (played by Nelson himself, uncredited) impressed by his supervision of the building, offers Poitier a job:

 'When you've finished, I could use a new foreman, Mr. Smith.'
'Thanks, Mr. Ashton. But when I've finished here, I'll be moving on.'

There's refreshingly no racism in this film - the black man is at home as much as the Latinos and Germans. 'Gringo? I don't know if that's a step up or a step down from some other things I've been called.' Nice script by James Poe from William Barrett novel. Give it a few short years and the ending would have been much bleaker cf. Cool Hand Luke or some such.

Stanley Adams good as friendly café owner.

Music by Jerry Goldsmith, photographed by Ernie Haller.

Only film I've seen which ends with title 'Amen'!



No comments:

Post a Comment