Tuesday 6 November 2018

Little Men (2016 Ira Sachs & co-scr)

Ahh, I thought the name was familiar - Sachs is also responsible for Love Is Strange, which has a familiar, low-key feel, and was also co-written by Mauricio Zacharias. To be honest, I'm not sure if he had pitched the plot of this to me I would have been that interested (two boys in Brooklyn become friends despite - or because of - different backgrounds, but their parents fall into a legal dispute) and I'm not sure the arty lateral tracks add anything (let's be honest, Sachs is a little self-indulgent at times). But I liked the way the two of the them fall in together, and Michael Barbieri's experiences with acting (his improv lesson is a highlight) and girls (we don't see anything really of Leo Tapklitz's art, which is a shame).

Greg Kinnear and Jennifer Ehle are his parents, Paulina Garcia is his annoying brittle and stubborn mother, and Alfred Molina is a family friend. And Talia Shire (Greg's sister).

Liked the tracking shots of them through the streets, contrasted with Leo's solo journey at the end.

So, not unenjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment