Wednesday 7 November 2018

Terror in a Texas Town (1958 Joseph H Lewis)

PB: When you walk on set in the morning, do you know the shots?
JL: I have everything well planned - exactly what I'm going to do, but exactly, diagrams and all: I did my work. and then the moment I walk on set, I throw them all away. But I maintain that a man must do his homework first, in order to be able to assume that attitude of throwing it away and saying "OK now let's do something". Because invariably, that the actors show me by giving them full freedom is far better than anything I could have put on paper.

Peter Bogdanovich 'Who the Devil Made It?'

Made in ten days, 8.30 - 6.00, when Lewis was recovering from a heart attack. It's not in the same league as Gun Crazy but has a certain verve, some interesting compositions. Script tends to get rather repetitive towards the end.

Lewis admired actor Nedrick Young as the gunman, used despite being blacklisted, as was co-writer Dalton Trumbo (here under a pseudonym). Certainly the theme of individuals collectively standing up against the fascist oppressor is relevant to the times.

With Sterling Hayden, Sebastian Cabot (when you really needed Laird Cregar), Carol Kelly, Victor Millan and Eugene Mazzola (billed as Eugene Martin) as the boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment