Sunday 25 November 2018

Misery (1990 Rob Reiner)

William Goldman died November 16 - this was Q's choice of memorial.

I remember not being too impressed by this the first time we saw it, but if taken as a black comedy it's good fun. The writer has some great touches - ' tombstone' cutting to the crashed car, her hitting her head on the typewriter, then the bludgeoning with pig. He jumps into the story fast and drops in little touches, like when Kathy Bates (won Oscar) mentions something about being on the witness stand.

I still wouldn't have bumped off Richard Farnsworth, though.

Also funny about writing / audiences.

George Roy Hill was originally asked to direct it but he felt he couldn't because in Goldman's original draft he had left in the original hobbling scene - she cut his feet off. I know. And he was absolutely convinced he was right. But Reiner and producer Andy Scheinman changed it to what we see now. And Goldman was furious....
And you know what?  I was wrong. The audience would have hated Annie, and, in time, hated us... 



For the record, Butch Cassidy is my favourite Goldman film, followed by The Princess Bride. Both of those were a little familiar, so I was pushing for Marathon Man - with Scheider and Conrad Hall, what's not to like? But I also love the opening of The Great Waldo Pepper...

Funnily enough I tried emailing Goldman recently. I wonder if he ever read it?

'Is it safe?'

No comments:

Post a Comment