Tuesday 19 March 2019

Accident (1967 Joseph Losey)

Q didn't like it this time unfortunately - finding it slow and all the characters unpleasant. Well, they are, pretty, but the slowness (e.g. lengthy harp-driven punting scene) doesn't mean nothing's happening. And I guess I am a fan of Pinter's strangely dry and mundane conversations ("What are you doing?" "I'm making tea" sort of thing.)

So it was the second Dirk Bogarde film I didn't finish on the same day.

I stand by everything in my last review.

The lovely house, according to 'The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations' is Norwood Farm Hall, Elveden Road, Cobham:

This is the last shot of the film, mirroring the first. We hear the audio of the accident again. No coincidence the kid's car is there.



Syon Hall is where the violent indoor rugby game is played and the universities featured are in Oxford.

Dirk Bogarde, Stanley Baker, Jacqueline Sassard (Chabrol's Les Biches - she retired shortly after), Vivien Merchant, Michael York, Delphine Seyrig, Alexander Knox, Harold Pinter,

Something about that music - the harps - really reminds me of something, but I can't remember what. Something.

It's kind of like a Nic Roeg film before he started making them. When you think Losey's previous film was Modesty Blaise, also with Bogarde, it's quite funny!

(Some days later came up with bizarre idea of Harold Pinter adapting Harold Robbins books!)

No comments:

Post a Comment