Sunday 10 March 2019

Great Expectations (1998 Alfonso Curaon)

The screen shots I would have put in are already here.



Mitch Glazer, creator of the awful Magic City, wrote it. Neither Alfonsito nor Chivo rate the finished film, interestingly. "My first instinct was to say no... I allowed myself to be dragged in for the wrong reasons... The script wasn't there..." It made them go on to Y Tu Mama Tambien - "Let's do the film we would have done before going to film school.. It's probably the one I love the most". Hmm. Have to watch that again I suppose.

I always thought Y Tu Mama was one of his first films, but no, the order is:

Solo Con Tu Pareja (1991)
A Little Princess (1995)
Great Expectations (1998)
Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001)
The Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
Paris Je T'Aime (2006)
Children of Men (2006)
Gravity (2013)
Roma (2018)
Ascension (announced TV series)

Still... Music Patrick Doyle, editor Steven Weisberg. De Niro is great as is interesting production design (Tony Burrough). The choice to relocate to Florida was also inspired. Plus, Hank Azaria is cast correctly for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment