Sunday 5 June 2016

Atonement (2007 Joe Wright)

I hadn't got Brief Encounter before - I did this time (scenes retold with different POV, tea shop scene, where she leaves him on bus). Also Powell & Pressburger were slightly shouting at me (momentum of scenes in hospital, 'Come back to me'). I agree with Q - it's a powerful film. Wonderful music (which doesn't just adopt the typewriter (Satie) in the score but also Breda Blethyn banging on the car), editing (Paul Tothill), Daniel Mays so sweet, the scene on the beach still so amazing (one of the best in cinema, better than Lean, better than Spielberg).

The mother looks familiar (and good) because it's Harriet Walter. Early appearances from Alfie Allen, Benedict Cumberbatch, Juno Temple - Anthony Minghella is interviewing Vanessa Redgrave.

Christopher Hampton wrote a simply terrific screenplay.


No comments:

Post a Comment