Sunday 23 June 2024

Ordinary People (1980 Robert Redford)

Donald Sutherland died June 20 aged 88. I probably first saw (and loved) him in Kelly's Heroes. You felt that in whatever role he was in, he was always true in it. Here he's a confused father struggling to deal with his son's post-suicidal life. The dialogue is almost Pinterish in that nothing being talked about is relevant - it's what's not being talked about that is crucial.

Redford draws wonderful performances out of everybody - Sutherland, Timothy Hutton, Mary Tyler Moore, Judd Hirsch and Elizabeth McGovern - and John Bailey paints them in that slightly autumnal, shadowy light of his.

Alvin Sargent adapted Judith Guests's novel in the 'drip feed' narrative style. It's moving, and very good. Won Oscars for Picture, Director and Screenplay, and for Hutton.









Great lines like -

"We would have been all right if there hadn't been any mess"

- and -

"I'm crying because I don't know if I love you any more and I don't know what I'd do without that".

Edited by Jeff Kanew, his only film of note.

No comments:

Post a Comment