Friday 1 January 2021

Uncle Buck (1989 John Hughes)

Directed almost entirely in close up, particularly on Jean Louisa Kelly (her debut, much on TV since).

John Hughes wrote seriously about teenagers because he was fed up with movies in which there are either naked shower scenes or psycho killers. Why he kept on in that vein may simply be that the films were very successful, or that once he'd found something he was good at he stuck to it.

He claimed once to be such a music fan that he always mixes the tracks really high "even if you can't hear the dialogue".


Gaby Hoffman interviewed in 2012:

Uncle Buck was really fun. Mac and I were the same age, and I felt like I was just having fun with my friend. I remember John Candy’s presence much more clearly than that of John Hughes. That movie was playing video games with Mac and rejoicing in the extraordinary loveliness of John Candy, who couldn’t have been sweeter or more comforting. He was incredibly loving and any sort of paternal-type figure has been a draw for me, having not grown up with a father. So I really fell in love with him.

 So to answer my own question, it seems from that likely that her reaction shots are actually to Candy.

Jay Underwood, from Desert Bloom, plays Bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment