Sunday 8 September 2024

Hana-Bi (1997 Takeshi Kitano & scr, ed)

Marvellous, soulful music, by Joe Hisaishi, evokes seventies thrillers like Chinatown.

The only way - well not the only way - one way I can describe this is a violent police/gangster thriller, as directed by Jim Jarmusch, with a beautiful journey through art, and a road trip between husband and (dying) wife.

Art in fact figures throughout from the opening credits on, and the paintings that form part of the story were by Kitano, who is also the (enigmatic) lead. He has a funny way of violently getting the better of the bad guys.

Yes, with its time jumping, it takes a bit to work out what's going / what went on.

With 'Beat' Kitano are Kayoko Kishimoto (fabulous as his wife), Ren Osugi (painter), Susumu Terajima, Tetsu Watanabe (funny scrap yard owner), Hakurya.

Kitano is best known in Japan as a comedian and TV presenter. He grew up around the Yakuza, and would hang out with them after stand up shows in clubs. He also acted in Merry Christmas Mr Laurence.

Most interesting, rather funny and sweet amidst all the gory violence. Won the Golden Bear at the Venice Film Festival.




I discovered with some delight that I had owned a copy of Kikujiro for some years.

I thought I wanted to see this because of an amazing review, which I assumed must have been in the Time Out guide, but it wasn't. I don't know now why I wanted to see it, but it was great!

Kitano said (in 'Projections 7') "I consider films as my toys. I cannot think of anything more enjoyable than making films."

No comments:

Post a Comment