Friday, 14 August 2026

Michelle Pfeiffer double bill: Frankie and Johnnie (1991 Gary Marshall) / One Fine Day (1996 Michael Hoffman)

A romdram and a romcon. Frankie and Johnny is a well-written film: you wouldn't know it was a play. It honestly looks at a relationship, the budding moments - particularly a woman who is too scared to get into a serious relationship - and the woman across the way who's being abused. See here. I was going to put in exactly the same screen shot as last time - this one.

The restaurant's on 23rd and 9th, the West side - Chelsea - above the Village. Her apartment's all the way up in Hell's Kitchen - not quite as high up as The Apartment.

The girl on the till who Hector Elizondo nicknames 'Pookie' is Ele Keats. Considering she's important in the hiring scene its weird how she drops out of the picture.



Who's Dante Spinotti? I hear you ask. His credits include Heat, LA Confidential, The Insider, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Wonder Boys, The Mirror Has Two Faces, Beaches, Illegally Yours.

Terrence McNally adapted his own play.

One Fine Day, was written by Terrel Seltzer and Ellen Simon, neither of whom are known for anything else of note. The idea of a couple who can't stand each other at the outset is of course as old as them thar hills, but the idea to compress that relationship into one day was a good one. Good support from Charles Durning, Amanda Peet, Holland Taylor and the like. The kids are Mae Whitman and the accident-prone Alex Linz.

I'm becoming obsessed by wall art in movies. This one looks Futurist but I couldn't track it down:

Good continuity, I noticed.

They're both difficult things to write well, see here. I particularly liked both endings: in the first, a couple clean their teeth and listen to NYC wake up; in the second, they fall asleep, while now best friend kids look on.

No comments:

Post a Comment