Tom adapted his own thriller novel with Jemma Kennedy. It's directed by James Marsh (1-3, who also directed Tom's 2012 adaptation Shadow Dancer) and Farren Blackburn (4 & 5). Why you would take off an Oscar-winning film director for the last two episodes I cannot understand (the DP changed too, from Ole Birkeland to the less good Nick Remy Matthews).
Gemma Arterton is running a surveillance operation in Malta on Russians; learns there's the possibility of a Russian operative in the senior cabinet. Could it be Home Secretary Mark Stanley or Amaka Okafor? Gemma's husband Rafe Spall is on her PR team.
Good tense scenes - the plant in the Russian house, and later her escape. And the daughter being followed into a spookily empty corner shop.
Big cast: Avi Nash her No. 2, Khalid Abdalla (Gemma's superior), Roger Allam, Alex Kingston, Aoife Hinds, various Russians... Galaxie Clear (the daughter), Alexander Mercury (Russian spy).
Has a funny meta feeling when Tom himself appears reading the news; and one character complains "Fucking ITV!" But still suffers from showing us text messages that aren't legible.
Overall, I'm not really sure what I thought of it.


No comments:
Post a Comment