Sunday 17 December 2017

The Apartment (1960 Billy Wilder)

In 4k gorgeousness, a favourite film of Mark Cousins ("I have probably watched [it] more than any other film - the scene where Shirley Maclaine runs down the street at the end is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen"), Cameron Crowe, Richard Ayoade and Oliver Assayas, amongst others. I think Jack Lemmon's greatest performance - spaghetti and meatballs scene one of many unforgettable moments. Film should be an obligatory study for any would-be screenwriter.

What a cool 15 year old I was. Maybe my favourite film ever. I sort of fell in love with it all over again.

Fascinating Wilder interview in which he talks about the plot's 'six or eight hinges', and 'we know where we're going, then we hide the mechanics'.

One thing I didn't know was that the theme came from 1949 rare British film The Romantic Age (ordered from My Rare Films).

No comments:

Post a Comment